MIST holds very immensely talented students here with a great deal of potential. To ensure their inert talent and future possibilities of success, we need to groom all those hidden talents so that it can burgeon in front of the world. Today’s world being all about proving thyself the outstanding one amongst the crowd, the importance of having good hold of confidence knows no bound. And this can only be achieved when we will be able to give ourselves a platform to conquer all our fears and nervousness. We can be confident enthusiasts when we will learn how the people of our generation think and made something out of nothing and how we will prepare ourselves for the battle of professionalism.
MIST Career Club (MCC) will be the first stepping stone for the students who have the thrust and hunger to prove themselves to be the best among the thousands. It will help the students to think out of the box and will evolve them to achieve the sumptuous professional qualities.
# Why A Career Club is crucial?
As this world is being globalized each day, the word Professionalism carries a dominant part today in work arena. Every year more than one million engineering students are getting their graduation. But the work field of Bangladesh is pretty competitive. While opportunities can be hard to spot, we can find them if we use a thoughtful and deliberate approach.
MIST Career Club will help the students of MIST to develop themselves to achieve the highest apex in their future endeavour . So that they can take a hold to their future and can take control.
MCC will try to cover the following criterions to help the students:
If we want to change roles or get ahead in our career, it’s important that we know how to identify and pursue opportunities that are a good match for our interests, skills, and circumstances.
This takes time. We can think of the process of finding opportunities as a journey that will eventually lead us to an exciting but unknown destination. We need to be patient, and persist in our efforts.
It is said that work that we put in now will pay off in the future. Not only will we end up in a role that’s right for us, but we will have a good understanding of our options. MCC will help students to get their kick start in career development thinking.
- Have the Right Mindset
Opportunities are all around us, all of the time. So we need to be continually watching out for them. MCC will help them to look for their best possible ways to grab the best possible job options with proper networking and help from our mentors.
- Seek Opportunities
We also need to make an effort to seek out “hidden” opportunities.
We need networks with people in our industry, to keep on top of the latest news and events. So MCC will invite top positioned resource personnel to take sessions which will guide and mentor the students. At the same time, student will get networking opportunities with them.
It will also useful for identifying trends and opportunities, and for networking with influential, well-informed people.
3. Identify Your Strengths and Weaknesses
As you seek out opportunities, you need to understand what your strengths and weaknesses are. MCC will help the students to identify the opportunities that are most relevant for them, and understand which skills they need to work on.
- Self development to take control in their future work life.
- Enhancing presentation skill.
- Developing communication ability.
- Increasing consciousness about career reality.
- The vision of this club is to produce highly ethical and professional people.
- Exposing MIST undergrad students to future employer organization.
- Creating a platform for career developing skills.
We can categorize the MCC activities into four broad categories. They are the followings:
- Career Sessions
- Certification courses
- Career fest
The most important and prompt activity of this club will be its career sessions. Every month we will try to bring resource personnel from different professional arenas who will take a two hours session. They will talk about their journey and how to develop professionalism, job antiquates and various crucial facts of today’s job life.
Then there will be an open floor for QA sessions where students will get a chance to communicate with the guest talker. It will increase their confident level and will definitely improve their networking skill.
Again, it the name of MIST will get its exposure and its student’s capability will get introduced in front the job givers.
Our organizing committee will also learn how to deal with high official and corporate folks which will help us in their future endeavors.
MODEL UNITED NATIONS:
Model United Nations, also known as Model UN or MUN, is an educational simulation and academic competition in which students can learn about diplomacy, international relations, and the United Nations. MUN involves and teaches researching, public speaking, debating, writing skills, in addition to critical thinking, teamwork and leadership abilities.
THE MOTIVE OF MUN: TOP 3 REASONS TO DO MUN:-
- It’s a fun way of learning about the world. In this era of globalization, being globally aware is more important than anything. Also, having fun makes it easier to learn something and more likely to stick.
- It develops leadership skills. MUN is an exercise in research, public speaking, and teamwork. These are skills that one will need throughout his career, and MUN gives the chance to practice them in student life.
- One can leverage his MUN experience and network to find jobs. Job interviewers look for examples of leadership, and one’s experience as a delegate or conference organizer will be perfect example for that. It also develops the network of alumni from MUN club people meeting on conferences.
THE NECESSITY OF MUN IN MIST:
MUN involves and teaches researching, public speaking, debating, writing skills, in addition to critical thinking, teamwork and leadership abilities. In MUN parliamentary debate takes place. Here every delegate represents a country and they debate on a particular topic. So, while doing so, one should be highly informative and logical. MUN debating enhances one’s reasoning power and thinking ability. It makes one efficient in critical thinking which helps him to be spontaneous in job interviews. A very strong networking and communicating skill develops in MUN. The debate requires different people to fill different roles. The chairperson’s challenge is to moderate the debate to make it as much productive as possible. This means developing strong leadership skills, in order to make sure every country speaks and that the debate is fruitful and successful.
- Model UN is not only teaching and improving our English, but it teaches us further on how to speak properly and diplomatically. This is especially vital for EFL countries student whom inevitably also involved into globalization era nowadays as English becomes more important ways of communication than ever. Thus, Model UN becomes the most appropriate medium to sharpen our diplomatic speaking skill.
- Model UN comprises the practice of research, academic writing, public speaking, and diplomacy, and team work. Those are important elements that students shall possess since early age. These skills are not only useful for future career (both work and advance education) but also to the present days. Students are habituating themselves not to take things for granted.
- Model UN that simulates real UN experience enables students’ insight of how the world works and cooperates, in fun way. It makes student becoming more aware towards multidimensional world issues and since it is fun and interactive, it is more likely to stick.
- Last, but not least, for future investment, MUN could potentially leverage one into college and job. Most of them would demand one to show his leadership and team work skills, these are inherently in MUN both when he becomes a Model UN organizer. Moreover, the networking one have established could also potentially help him too, since be it the alumna or friend who has been working at his desired company, they may help you directly to get accepted/recommendation or indirectly by exchanging information and tips. Thus, enabling you to have an excellent resume as well as real excellent capability.
So the students in MIST must need to practice these skills in real life to get up to date with the advancing world, to make him presentable to the whole world, to be self confident. And thus he can ensure a better future in career by using his skills developed in MUN.
MCC will hold some certification courses. They are briefly discussed as following:
- Paper writing segments:
As being engineering is not only about technical work but it also involves some research work where we have to write papers, thesis etc. Professors proficient in these criteria will take sessions to produce some quirky techniques to write this kind of papers. Even though, it is not a certified criterion but it is an essential one.
- Ielts , Tofels and GRE course:
Instructors from British Council and American Centre will be invited to take short course on ielts , Tofels and GRE exams, so that students of MIST can excel in those exams.
- Leadership Training:
Leadership training will we provided from organizations like BYLC (Bangladesh Youth Leadership Centre), British Councel etc. so that students can take control for their and their Country’s future.
- Presentation and Communication Skill improvement Training.
At the end of the year, we will organize a career fest where all top ranked companies and associations will be invited to take MIST graduates’ CVs and take spot interviews.
We will arrange some self developing intra competitions as well to motivate students and to help them to pave their way to their careers.
MIST Career Club is a crying need of Mistians to explore the apex of their success. Institutions like BUET, DU, NSU, BUP etc are doing so much development through their Career Clubs, so do we can. In this circumstance, we really hope that your help and support will be there with us to showcase something new and productive in MIST. I conclude with the quote of Chris Grosser, where he said:
“Opportunities don’t happen, you create them.”